Thursday, 7 May 2015

Blue Lagoon

As you may or may not already know, in April last year I had the fantastic opportunity to go to Iceland, which I wrote about here. As soon as we were through customs, we were taken by our guide from Discover the World to the Blue Lagoon, a stunning picture of dazzling blue nestled among the grey lava fields. The photo's that I took don't really do it justice, but I'll include them anyway.


Once we finally stopped gawping at the water and went into the building, we rushed off to the changing room. And boy oh boy were we in for a shock. Little did we know that the Icelandic are very particular about their pre-swimming routines. Everyone must shower without their swimming costumes beforehand and private cubicles are scarce. Not only are there pool police standing guard to ensure that this was the case, even the locals were particularly stern. We even had one woman, completely starkers, aggressively reminding us that 'you must take your bathing suits off!' It was enough to make me hysterical. It was an experience to say the least and almost liberating in a way, standing there naked with a load of unabashed women. Plus, they even provided free conditioner! The Blue Lagoon, not the women.


It's the most bizarre experience, standing outside wearing next to nothing in barely 5 degrees Celsius, and wading into hot water that is naturally heated by geothermal energy. The hours we spent swimming and relaxing in the water were some of the most peaceful and rejuvenating I've ever had. In some parts it was like stepping into a hot bath, except there were mountains in the background. There was a sauna, a hot waterfall and pots of natural silica face mask too. Absolute bliss. I would have stayed there all day if I could.

It was most definitely worth the money and I whole heartedly recommend going. Despite the changing room fiasco and the fact that it took several hair washes later to get my hair feeling remotely normal, at the Blue Lagoon, I had one of those moments when everything feels good with the world and that feeling lasted for a long time afterwards.

For more information:

0 comments:

Post a Comment