Monday, 6 July 2015

10 Years

"Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?"
It's these kind of questions that I hate with a passion. In 10 years time I will be 29. 10 years ago I was 9. Going by how much my life has changed in the last 10 years, it seems inconceivable to me to be able to know what I want in the next 10 years. When I was 9 I wanted to be an actress or an artist. Or maybe I was going to open up my own restaurant with my best friend Charlie. We were going to have cornflakes with maple syrup as our speciality dessert. Today, I am no longer friends with Charlie. I no longer want to open up my own restaurant. I no longer want to be an artist. I no longer want to be an actress, although there is a part of me that does occasionally fantasise about being in a huge theatre production of Les Miserables, but that's besides the point.


Today I'm 19 years old. Today I'm studying for a degree in Geography. Today I fantasise about living somewhere like a farm in the middle of nowhere, being as self sufficient as I can possibly be, doing things I love. But still, I'm at university, studying towards a degree that I love, getting ready for my exams and getting prepared to study abroad for a year. Who knows where I'll be in 2 years time? Who know's how my experiences will change what I want in life, where I see myself?

I think as a society we get too caught up in the long term plans. It's good to have them, don't get me wrong. It's good to have goals and to think about the steps to achieve them but at the same time I think it's unfair to put so much pressure on people to know these things. And frankly, I think it's naive to put much weight on the answers to these questions as so much can happen and change in 10 years. Especially at the age that I am, it seems that everyone is expected to know what they want to do, know how they're going to achieve it despite having a limited experience of what the world is actually like outside of the realm of home. Everyday I learn something new and every year I feel like I grow and change. I believe that it's okay not to know what you want to do in 10 years time or at least feel like it can be changed. The amount of pressure put on people to stay on the path you choose at 16, 17, 18 is crazy. Everyone should be made to feel that it's acceptable to change your mind. There is no way that the person you are now is going to be the exact same person you'll be in 10 years time and sometimes that means your dreams and passions change. It's okay to not have a long term plan and it's okay to have one, just make sure you know that you should do what you want to do. You shouldn't ever be made to feel like a failure for changing your mind.

-x-

0 comments:

Post a Comment